- Continued transportation and disposal of intermodal containers from 6AUG13 through 15AUG 13 with a total amount of waste shipped off-site of 2, 210, 560 pounds (1,105.28 tons) to date.
- Identified discrete pieces of depleted uranium (DU) metal in the upper two inches of soil covered by vegetation outside the buildings near the former employee entrance during routine radiological monitoring on 3AUG13. Submitted a plan for a DU metal site characterization survey on 27AUG13 to evaluate the soil, asphalt and concrete paved areas around the site not identified for remediation in the Feasibility Study.
- Continued Building Stabilization activities including disassembling and demolishing equipment in Building C and D foundry areas and partial wall demotion of non-structural combustible walls in Building C. Also moved and staged all debris and materials in Butler Building B-3 into Building D for processing prior to transportation and disposal.
- Continued Building Stabilization activities, including packaging and loading of intermodal containers, removal of oils and fluids from machinery, demolition of debris and equipment in Buildings C, D, and E to assemble higher activity packages to screen with the Radionuclide Detector (RID) unit.
- Received Agency comments on 17JUL13 on the Tank House Plan and Standard Operating Procedure for Stabilization of Metal Powders and Turnings identified in the Phase 1 Construction Submittal.
- Paused transportation and disposal of intermodal containers from 12JUL13 until 5AUG13 to allow work crews to stockpile additional waste streams for shipment.
- Through 31JUL13, one hundred and four 32-yard intermodal containers were shipped from the Site with a total weight of 1,797,680 pounds (898.84 tons).
- Held Site walk on 24JUN13 with Agencies, Concord Fire Department, Public Groups, de maximis, and representatives of Respondents to review on-going work activities.
- Continued Building Stabilization activities, including packaging and loading of intermodal containers, removal of oils and fluids from machinery, demolition of debris and equipment in Buildings C, D, and E, wall removal between D-116 and 117 for efficient loading, and consolidation of usable chemicals and machine oils.
- Submitted revised USEI Transportation Plan on 13JUN13.
- Submitted the Tank House Plan and Standard Operating Procedure for Stabilization of Metal Powders and Turnings identified in the Phase 1 Construction Submittal to the Agencies on 19JUN13.
- Completed shipment of eighty 32-yard intermodal containers, total weight of approximately 681 tons, for off-site disposal through June 31, 2013.
- Commenced transportation on May 6, 2013, of intermodal containers to US Ecology Inc. for disposal.
- Waste total shipped for the month of May included forty-eight intermodal containers and 826,080 lbs.
- Completed labeling of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) throughout buildings.
- Continued the removal of oils and fluids from machinery.
- Continued packaging of loose debris in Buildings C, D, and E.
- Continued disassembling and packaging of accessible equipment in Buildings C, D, and E.
- Completed paving activities as part of the Site Management and Security Plan, Addendum #1.
- Received eight intermodal containers and commenced loading in preparation for shipping in May.
- Continued building stabilization activities, including commencement of oil and fluid removal from machinery, packing of loose debris in Buildings C, D, and E, disassembly of equipment in Building C and E, and removal of remaining equipment and conduit on wall in Building D, room D117.
- Continued Site Management and Security Plan Addendum 1 Activities, including repurposing the RI/FS trailer for scale house, relocation of the fence along northwest corner of property around Truck scale, completed electrical installation in scale house, removed and relocated light poles, completed regrading of disturbed areas in preparation for paving, and provided improvements in parking areas for better truck traffic flow.
- Continued Health and Safety activities, including relocation of the contamination reduction zone in Building C.
- Submitted RCRA Subtitle C Site Identification and Revised Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity on April 22, 2013.
- Submitted NTCRA Transportation and Disposal Cost Analysis on April 22, 2013.
- Received EPA approval of the Phase 1 Construction Submittal on March 27, 2013.
- Removal of northern section of partition wall in Building D, which included removal of the pre-fabricated hallway, the fire suppression system, and the cinder block wall. In addition, relocated the fire alarm conduit and re-energized the garage door motor. Constructed a temporary wall for a contamination reduction zone (CRZ).
- Completed grading around southern portion of buildings. Placed top soil stockpile immediately south of Butler Building B-2.
- Packaged loose debris in Building E. Also disassembled equipment in Building E to assemble higher activity packages to screen with the Radionuclide Detector unit.
- Completed radiological screening of laboratory package chemicals in preparation for off-site disposal.
- Responded to Agency comments on the Phase 1 Construction Submittal comments on February 8, 2013.
- Began excavation for the truck scale foundation.
- Performed snow removal for February 10, 2013 snow event of 24 inches. Work crews on-site over the subsequent weekend to maintain access roads.
- Received Agency comments on the response to comments on the Phase 1 Construction and revised Phase 1 Construction submittals.
- EPA approves Addendum No. 1 to Site Management and Security Plan for the NMI NTCRA on December 20, 2012.
- Continued Building Stabilization activities: installed temporary propane heater in tank house, had Concord Fire Department on site to perform Fire Suppression Loop Pressure Test, and cleared snow following December 17, 2012 snow event.
- Update of NTCRA activities was provided to the Agencies and Concord Fire Department on November 7, 2012.
- On September 10, 2012 de maximis received conditional approval of the Removal Action Work Plans and Cylinder Removal plan pending compliance with final EPA comments.
- On August 27, 2012, de maximis participated in a Site walk with Agencies and Concord Fire Department.
- de maximis removed Building A HVAC Blower motor unit and patched hole in roof above south stairway on August 15, 2012.
- Response to Comments, Revised Documents and redlined August 13, 2012.
- de maximis submitted the Site Management & Security Plan Addendum #1 which summarizes exterior Site improvements for NTCRA Activities on August 14, 2012.
- Building Stabilization activities performed. Materials were processed and packaged in accordance with the Packaging of Office Contents & Combustible Materials Procedures in the following areas: 1). Building A First Floor- Completed. 2). Building B First Floor- Completed. 3). Building E Office Mezzanine- Completed.
- de maximis received additional comments from the Agencies on Removal Action Work Plan (RAWP) and attachments on July 30, 2012.
- de maximis submitted the Phase I Construction Submittal on July 27, 2012.
- de maximis submitted Response to Comments (RTC) on Removal Action Work Plan (RAWP) and attachments on July 2, 2012.
- Materials were processed and packaged in accordance with the Packaging of Office Contents & Combustible Materials Procedures in the following areas: 1). Building A First Floor- In Progress. 2). Building A Second Floor Office Areas- Completed during July 2012. 3). Building B First Floor- In progress. 4). Building B Second Floor Office Areas- Completed during July 2012. 5). Building C Mezzanine- Completed during July 2012.
- On June 6, EPA provides approval of Packaging Office Contents and Combustible Materials Procedures.
- During June 2012, de maximis completed execution of Removal Action Work Plan (RAWP) Appendix G- Electrical Termination Plan.
- On May 8, concord Light terminated existing power service to the property/buildings. EPA provides approval of the Electrical Termination Plan and Natural Gas Piping Purge Plan.
- EPA provides comments on the NTCRA Work Plans. de maximis completed installation of Temporary Power Service.
- de maximis starts preparation of “Construction Submittals” the detailed work plans that will address specifically how building contents will be removed for off-site
- de maximis continues inventory of building contents and conducts structural analysis of building roofs.
- NTCRA Work Plans submitted on January 18. de maximis continues to implement measures to reduce risk, and starts comprehensive inventory of building contents.
- EPA approves Interim NTCRA Work Plans on December 19. de maximis continues measures to reduce risk and implements temporary heating of buildings to maintain fire sprinklers and minimize snow load.
- Starmet abandons site on November 2, de maximis takes over responsibility for site security and maintenance. Interim NTCRA Work Plans submitted on November 5. de maximis implements measures to secure buildings and reduce risk. MADPH-RCP terminates Starmet’s licenses to possess radioactive materials on November 8.
- NTCRA Trust funded. Respondents name de maximis, inc. as General Contractor for NTCRA work. de maximis, inc. starts NTCRA planning and identifies subcontractors to assist with NTCRA work.
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent and appendices (together, the Settlement Agreement) for Non-Time-Critical Removal Action (NTCRA) became effective August 9. Respondents to Settlement Agreement name Bruce Thompson as Project Coordinator for NTCRA work.
- Proposed Plan Public Meeting for “Engineering Evaluation and Cost Analysis (EE/CA) Disposition of Structures and Contents”.
- On July 2007:Revised Draft “Engineering Evaluation and Cost Analysis (EE/CA) Disposition of Structures and Contents”.
- EPA’s National Remedy Review Board reviewed the EE/CA’s preliminary options and costs for the performance of a Non-Time Critical Removal Action (NTCRA) and provided comments to EPA Region.
- Submitted Draft Engineering Evaluation and Cost Analysis (EE/CA) for the disposition of site structures and building contents for agency review.
- EPA issued Notice to Proceed for an EE/CA for the site buildings and contents.
Last updated on September 18, 2013