EPA Announces Completed Record of Decision
EPA provided a news release 1OCT2015 announcing the completed Record of Decision (ROD) for the Nuclear Metals Site, Inc. The ROD generally includes the following components:
• Excavation and off-site disposal of approximately 82,500 cubic yards of contaminated materials.
• In-Situ stabilization of depleted uranium contaminated soils in the Holding Basin using apatite injection.
• Extraction and ex-situ treatment of groundwater for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and 1,4-dioxane.
• In-situ treatment of depleted uranium and natural uranium in groundwater.
• Long-term monitoring to monitor the effectiveness of in- and ex-situ treatment.
• Institutional Controls to prevent disturbance of the Holding Basin area, prevent the use of Site groundwater, and address potential vapor intrusion risks.